I bought this ginormous bag of quinoa at Costco. Before I bought this 4 lb. bag, I had yet to find a quinoa recipe I truly loved. But, I can’t avoid the fact that this is one nutritious grain!! So, I decided that I would buy this huge bag & that buy would force me to find ways to cook it! (Kinda like buying a gym membership to force yourself to workout! Backwards logic, isn’t it?)
If there is anyone that could convert me on quinoa, I knew it was my favorite author, Robin Robertson!! On p. 279 of her cookbook, 1,000 Vegan Recipes, I found a worthy contender. When I read ‘pistachio’ in the title, I knew that it couldn’t go very wrong!
Verdict? Surprisingly spicy but very good!! That 1/4 tsp. of cayenne pepper adds a nice kick to the recipe. And the quinoa part of the recipe? Pretty dang good! The Crumby Hubby told me that he doesn’t like to combine fruit & nuts in recipes. Unfortunately, he told me this as I served dinner. (Bummer….) But, to my delight, he gave it a thumbs up!! Sweet!! Thanks again to Robin Robertson!!
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 1/2 c. quinoa, well-rinsed & drained
- 3 c. vegetable broth or water
- 3 c. (or 2 15 1/2 oz. cans) chickpeas
- 1/4 tsp ground red cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh or 1 tsp. dried chives
- 1 orange, peeled, segmented & chopped
- 1/2 c. pistachios, shelled
- 1/2 c. frozen peas, thawed
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, cover & cook for 10 minutes (or until onions soften.)
- Stir in quinoa, add broth & bring to a boil. Turn heat to medium-low. Add salt to taste, cover & let simmer until liquid absorbs, between 20-30 mins.
- Let quinoa sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Total Cost: $8.39 for entire recipe or $2.10 per serving
- EVOO: $8.99 per 2 L bottle, which is $0.07 for 1 tbsp.
- Red onion: ~$0.70 for a medium red onion
- Quinoa: ~$9.50 per 4 lb. bag, which is $1.35 for 1 1/2 c.
- Organic vegetable broth: $3.19 per 4 c. container, which is $2.40 for 3 c.
- Salt: ~$0.01
- Chickpeas: ~$2.19 for 2 c. uncooked (which makes 6 c. cooked), which is $1.11 for 3 c. cooked
- Red cayenne pepper: $3.70 per 1.70 oz. container, which is $0.04 for 1/4 tsp
- Dried chives: ~$0.05 for 1 tsp.
- Mandarin oranges: $7.89 for 16 4-oz. containers, which is $0.98 for 2 containers
- Pistachios: $3.99 per 8 oz. bag, which is $1.41 for 1/2 c. shelled (~43 g.)
- Peas: $1.79 per 16 oz. package, which is $0.27 for 1/2 c.
This post has affiliate links. When you use them, you help to support this site. Please see my Affiliate Disclosure Policy for more details. Thanks!!!